Did you know that our oceans have a huge impact on the climate? Covering 70% of the planet, they absorb and store massive amounts of carbon dioxide and heat, which helps reduce and regulate global temperatures. Oceans also produce more than 50% of the planet’s oxygen - pretty cool, we know! But that makes it even more important to protect.
We're dedicated to taking action for our one shared ocean that connects us ALL. That's why we will be donating 5% of all sales on June 8th to our friends at Sea Hugger - who are dedicated to protecting and healing the marine environment from plastic pollution. By working together and making a conscious effort in eliminating plastic waste, we can (and will) protect our oceans and our future.
The team helped come up with a list of reasons why we love our oceans & simple ways on how to love our oceans better to celebrate this year's World Oceans Day.
- Swap out the plastic sponge for a Swedish dishcloth! Plastic sponges release microplastics that go down the drain and into the oceans with each use. Swedish dishcloths are made of 70% cellulose from FSC certified forests and 30% cotton and are screen printed with water based ink - perfect for Mama Ocean!
- Save your eggshells and mix them in the garden soil to help your tomatoes and peppers get the calcium they need. Sprinkle crushed eggshells on top of the soil to save your basil, cabbage, lettuce, marigolds and strawberries from pesky little snails. Plus, it saves our drains from toxic chemicals typically used to keep plants healthy.
- Our skin is precious, and deserves non-toxic ingredients. Same goes for our oceans. When choosing the best product to keep your skin healthy, keep in mind what goes on our bodies ends up in the ocean with each wash.
- Upcycle glass jars or use reusable bags, like Stashers, to store food. Plastic containers end up sending microplastics to the drain with each wash in the dishwasher.
- Look for nontoxic, eco-ingredients in your home cleaning products. One way to do this is to double check the product with the EPA’s Safer Choice Products.
- Always remember to get outside and spend some quality time with nature, and the ocean if you are near it! Whether you grab a cup of tea, bring a book with you, or take a walk with your bestie, spending time out in nature grows our appreciation for this planet, and shows Mama Earth our gratitude for the beauty she provides.
“On this day, we have an opportunity to raise global awareness of the benefits humankind derives from the ocean and our collective duty to use its resources sustainably. Future generations will also depend on the oceans for their livelihood.” From the UN (https://unworldoceansday.org/about/)