BOXFOX is proud to announce that for the month of June, we are celebrating PRIDE in a big way by partnering with The Trevor Project. We have curated our PRIDE gift box in the spirit of self-affirmation, dignity, equality, and increased visibility of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. We often find ourselves asking, what is the role of a privately-held company in America? For us, it’s continuing to stand up for and with anyone who could be struggling. If you’re eager to support The Trevor Project’s mission (read more below!), there are two ways to shop in support of The Trevor Project this June:
- We will be donating 20% of all sales from our Ready to Ship PRIDE BOXFOX to The Trevor Project.
- We’ll be donating 10% of sales from items with a rainbow icon when you Build a (100% custom!) BOXFOX. All of these items called out are either from LGBTQ-owned brands or other allied brands that have previously partnered with The Trevor Project and/or advocated visibility for the LGBTQ+ community.
What is The Trevor Project:
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning) young people. The organization works to save young lives by providing support through free and confidential suicide prevention and crisis intervention programs on platforms where young people spend their time: our 24/7 phone lifeline, chat, and text. They also run TrevorSpace, the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth, and operate innovative education, research, and advocacy programs.
How they are making a difference:
More than 1.8 million LGBTQ young people seriously consider suicide in the U.S. every year. LGBTQ youth who come from highly rejecting families are at higher risk of suicide.
According to Trevor's 2020 National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health….
- 46% of LGBTQ youth report they wanted psychological or emotional counseling from a mental health professional but were unable to receive it in the past 12 months
- 6 in 10 LGBTQ youth said someone attempted to convince them to change their sexual orientation or gender identity; 35% said it was a parent or caregiver
How the COVID-19 has impacted the LGBTQ+ youth community: This year has been difficult for everyone, but it has been especially challenging for LGBTQ youth, who already face hardships such as rejection and discrimination.
According to a poll conducted by Morning Consult on behalf of The Trevor Project…
- 55% of LGBTQ youth reported symptoms of anxiety due to COVID-19, and 69% of trans and gender nonbinary youth report symptoms of depression due to COVID-19
- Over 40% of LGBTQ youth stated that COVID-19 impacted their ability to express their LGBTQ identity. A third of all LGBTQ youth said they were unable to be themselves at home.
Resources: If you or someone you know is feeling hopeless or suicidal, The Trevor Project’s trained crisis counselors are available 24/7 at 1-866-488-7386, via online chat at www.TheTrevorProject.org/Help, or by texting START to 678678.
- TrevorLifeline is a free, confidential, and secure phone line available to LGBTQ youth 24/7 with trained volunteers. Call 1-866-488-7386.
- TrevorChat is a free, confidential, and secure instant messaging service that provides live help 24/7 for LGBTQ youth by trained volunteers. Visit TheTrevorProject.org/Help.
- TrevorText is a free, confidential, and secure service for LGBTQ youth to text a trained Trevor counselor for support and crisis intervention. Text “START” to 678-678. Available 24/7. Standard text messaging rates apply.