Hi Sandra, nice to meet you! Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am Chicana (first generation Mexican American) born and raised in San Diego, CA.
2. What inspired you to create the company?
I noticed a lack of high-end brands in the beauty and bath & body space that spoke directly to Latinas. Since we are the largest minority group in the country and the largest consumer of beauty products, it didn't make sense to me why we weren't reflected on the shelves.
3. What has your journey been like as a latinx in this industry?
I intentionally set out to create a brand that was bold, colorful, and clearly Latina. I wanted the Latin@ community to feel proud and seen when they saw Nopalera. The support has been incredible from the community.
4. Where does the name “Nopalera’ come from?
Nopalera is the name of the cactus plant when it's still in the ground. Once you cut off the "pencas" or pads to eat, they are referred to as nopales. They are one of the most resilient, regenerative, and versatile crops in the world. We use them for food, body care, and textiles like vegan leather. What other plant does that?
5. What’s a piece of advice you would give to fellow aspiring latinx entrepreneurs?
Dream big. Lean into your culture. The time is now. Surround yourself with badass people who are doing great things.
And do the math before you launch. Understanding margins is crucial to longevity.
6. What would you say Nopalera’s Brand Mission is? How are you applying it to your day to
Our mission is to celebrate and elevate Latin@ culture. I love to share culture with our community and highlight other amazing Latinx entrepreneurs. Building community is really important to me. I hope to inspire others to take bold action and be themselves fully.
7. What is your favorite product on your website right now?
My favorite product is the Botanical Bar. It's a solid plant butter bar with nopal oil and just perfect for dry skin. I have them all over my house!
8. Talk to us about your branding, if you could describe the aesthetic in three words what
would it be?
Bold. Colorful. Badass.
10. Do you have any tips for first time Nopalera users?
The cactus soaps are so moisturizing you can use them on your face! The botanical bar is a moisturizer (not a soap!) and a little goes a long way. The exfoliant is amazing for men too! Especially those that get dry skin under their facial hair.
11. Is there one product in your line that you think everyone needs?
I think everyone needs the botanical bar. Replace your plastic bottle of lotion!
12. What’s next for Nopalera?
We just launched in Nordstrom so I am just trying to keep up!